Ipe Wood Decking and Tiles
Ipe wood decking and ipe hardwood deck tiles are popular due to their beauty, strength, and hardness. A sustainably harvested wood, Ipe (pronounced ee-pay), is imported from South America. It is highly scratch and dent resistant. Decks, terraces, or walkways made from ipe wood will hardly reveal dog nail scratches, high heels, or furniture scuffs. With ipe wood you don’t have to worry about pests or water. This wood species is highly resistant to problems related to moisture and insects.
Ipe wood’s density and weight render it very stable so that it changes very little when exposed to the elements. With no finishing, ipe decking will last for decades, achieving a nice silver finish. It really is no wonder that ipe hardwood has been a top choice for both outdoor and indoor venues for use in commercial, civic, and luxury residential applications. HDG Building Materials offers ipe wood decking and finished ipe hardwood decking tiles. FSC® products are available.
Choose Ipe Wood Decking or Ipe Deck Tiles
- Excellent resistance to scratching
- Exceptional hardness, durability, stability
- Low maintenance requirements
- Highest rating for insect (termite) & decay resistance
- 3-5 times the life of most other decking materials
- Resistant to fire (rated Class A by NFPA)
- Color varies from deep, walnut brown to olive to mahogany red
- Fine grain appears swirly, striped or perfectly uniform
- Left to weather naturally, ipe develops an elegant silver-gray patina
- Weathers gracefully with the weathered surface remaining hard and splinter free
- Comes from well-managed forests in South America
Ipe Wood Decking
Not only is ipe the toughest and most durable decking available, it is also beautiful. Its color varies from deep walnut brown to olive to mahogany red, and its fine grain appears swirly, striped or perfectly uniform. Left to weather naturally, ipe decking develops a rich, elegant silver-gray patina. Either natural or finished with a UV inhibitor, ipe decking is as unique as it is breathtaking. Because of its exceptional hardness, durability and stability in terms of twisting and warping and its low maintenance requirements, ipe wood is routinely used for commercial decking and boardwalks.
Wood Decking Options Available:
- 1 x 6
- 5/4 x 6
- 2 x 6
- Random odd and even lengths
- Fixed length
- Grooved and ungrooved edges
- Hidden fastener system
Other sizes on request.
Ipe Decking Over Pedestals
Ipe wood decking can be installed over slope-correcting, height-adjustable Buzon pedestals. Fixed or adjustable joist supports are affixed to each pedestal head and then ipe board decking can be installed. See Adjustable Joist Support for guidance and project examples.
Advantages of HDG Ipe Pavers:
- Light-weight (7 lbs/sf)
- Class-A fire-rating
- Superior strength and impact resistance
- More cost-effective than grating or grid structures for elevated decks
- Resistant to damage by frost, snow, ice and heat (-40F up to 201F)
- Quick and easy install
- Chlorine and salt resistant
- May be stained various colors with ipe oil
- Slip resistant and quick draining
- Easy to clean and maintain
- Lighter and easier to handle than concrete pavers
- Removable and reusable
Ipe Structural Hardwood Decking Tiles
These load-bearing ipe pavers offer a unique combination of benefits unmatched by other wood-pavers. They are water-resistant, rot-resistant, are extremely stable, salt resistant and if you allow them to silver-out naturally, practically zero maintenance.
Suitable for both large residential and high-traffic commercial applications, HDG Ipe Pavers offer exceptional flexibility in landscape design as they can be installed with adjustable height pedestals on elevated decks over:
- Waterproof membranes on sloped roofs
- Compacted sand or gravel
- Hard, level surfaces such as concrete
Ipe Deck Tiles Over Pedestals
Ipe deck tiles fit perfectly to Buzon adjustable pedestals. With the slope-correction ability of the Buzon pedestals, the ipe deck tiles remain perfectly level for people and furniture while the locally uneven substrate slopes towards the drains. Ask us about wind uplift solutions if needed. Learn more by visiting Poolside Deck with Ipe Hardwood Over Buzon Pedestals.